Thursday 6 December 2007

I Just Can't Be Bothered to Be Articulate

The cold that everyone else seems to have had a month ago has finally caught up with me. I can't breathe. My eyes feel like they're bulging out. My muscles ache. I feel BLAAAAAHHHHHH! This always happens at this time of year when I should be writing Christmas cards and buying presents. At least it should be gone by Christmas.

Onto to other gripes: I am finding it hard to get onto the computer these days between hubby and the kids. "I have homework to do," they whine. So I sign off. And when I check on them, they're on MSN or some computer game. And hubby has work to do, which he updates me on every five minutes. Well, it's not like I HAVE to be on the computer. I mean, there's only my blog and my Amazon shopping and maybe a few emails. And I need to check the other blogs I follow (which since we got the puppy I've been very remiss about). And how about a Sudoku to calm my nerves? And what's going on in the world? Oh yes, I could easily be on the computer all day long. Who cares about clean bathrooms or floors or food shopping or real life? Not me!

The good news is I won DJ Kirby's Wordless Wednesday last week. Thanks, DJ, and I need to put the award on my blog.

What I really need now is a nap, but Jake needs a walk. And I have to work on the things the dog trainer suggested for me. Yes, I got a dog trainer to come over last week to assess me and the dog. He's great. I could do with some improvement. Jake is a nipper, which can hurt, believe me. He also gets excited and jumps up on people. And the worst is taking him for a walk. He strains on the lead so badly, I'm afraid of choking him. I got a harness, which he has now outgrown. I got one of those Halti things, which he hates. He and I work on the lead every day in the driveway till he gets really frustrated and attacks my leg. But Rome was not built in a day, and Jake is an intelligent, if stubborn, guy. Well, so am I, Buster, so watch out! He is awfully cute, and one day I will post pictures of him. It's amazing how much he's grown, and how he's changed our family dynamic. Hubby, so opposed to the idea of a dog, values his time with Jake, using it as therapy almost. Daughter has been good at training him. Jake sees Son as his equal, so we need to work on that. The cats have settled down somewhat. I never knew that cats could eat and growl at the same time but Minnie does. Pearl, always the dominant cat, has rolled over and played dead practically. At Thanksgiving, hubby gave Pearl some turkey. Jake snatched it from her mouth. She has the claws, she just needs to learn how to use them.

I shall leave this mishmash of a post now to take Jake for some exercise. And remember, tomorrow is another day.

7 comments:

laurie said...

ok, that explains why you've been boycotting my blog! you're busy and sick and everyone else is hogging the computer. i understand totally (though i miss you).

i think you need to take some zinc (to knock out the cold) and honey (to knock out any cough or sore throat).

and then i think you need to ask Santy for a laptop....

Vi said...

ah, sweetie, I hope you feel better soon, I know what it's like.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

laurie: I'm not boycotting your blog. I just haven't had the time or brain power to give it the attention it so deserves.

vi: I've had to take chocolate for medicinal purposes too (soothes the throat).

Kim said...

I've missed you, too, sweetie. I am sorry you're feeling so poorly. Follow Laurie's sage advice and I bet you'll be better in no time.

Jake sounds like a joy. You'll win him over with training in no time if you just keep it up. Jack used to pull so hard on his leash that he'd choke himself and fall over. After that happened a couple times, he really got better. It scared me, but it was good for him.

I am sharing a computer with my kids right now because my laptop died, and I understand how that is. Thank goodness hubby brings his laptop home when he needs to work!

Feel better soon.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Hope you feel better soon.

For Jake, try one of these http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

They work much better than a halti!

laurie said...

ps riley used to pull like mad, too. a chest harness was the solution. a leash attached to his neck choked him. he hated the halti.

but a chest harness is great. he doesn't pull (much) anymore. but he still gets the chest harness. i can control him so much easier with it.

Sparx said...

You're brave! A new dog with two cats already in the house... good luck with the training...