Tuesday 2 October 2007

Tuesday Twins




There's something about Wynona Ryder and Keira Knightley that remind me of each other. The super-skinny body? The voice which, accents aside, has that pre-adolescent boy quality? Does anyone else see it, or is it just me?

I promised Jake photos, and even though my daughter said she uploaded them, I still can't find them. Maybe tomorrow.

I'll entertain you instead with a smattering of questions from Life in the UK Test Practice Questions. I decided after 15 years to apply for British citizenship since I don't seem to be moving back to the US anytime soon, and it sure would be handy to have an EU passport sometimes. Now, you'd think after 15 years in this country, more than 11 of them spent volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau where I learned a lot about the UK benefits system, that I would be able to ace these questions. You'd be thinking wrong.

Try figuring out these answers for yourself (those in the US feel free to join in):

1.What is the financial help called that is available to young people from low income families who leave school early?
A. After School Allowance
B. Education Maintenance Allowance
C. Housing Benefit
D. School Leaver's Payment


2. What proportion of young adults in the UK have used illegal drugs at one time or another?
A. One quarter
B One third
C. One half
D. Two thirds

3. Which of the following is not an agreement produced by the UN?
A. The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
B. The Convention on the Protection of the Ozone Layer
C. The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
D. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

4. What percentage of Christians in the UK are Roman Catholic?
A. 10%
B. 20%
C. 30%
D. 40%

5. What percentage of the UK population say they attend religious services?
A. Around 10%
B. Around 20%
C. Around 30%
D. Around 40%

How did you do? I'll post the answers tomorrow.

I'm going to pass on the You Made Me Smile blog award kindly given to me by RC to: Kelly, Jenny, Crystal Jigsaw, Vi, and Exmoor Jane. Be sure to make others smile too.

I've been thinking about the etiquette of the blog awarding. Naturally, I think, it's just good manners to thank the person who gave it to you and to pass it on to others. These awards are meaningless in the greater scheme of life, but they bring pleasure and happiness to others, don't they? Sometimes people don't like to single out others and cop out by saying everyone on their blog roll deserves it (and I think I've done that myself). Sometimes the same people seem to get them over and over again (and I think I've done that myself). Sometimes people forget to thank those who bestowed it on them (and I hope I've never done that and apologise if I have, though it's been done to me). These awards, I think, are a way of showing appreciation to those who read and comment on our blogs and whose blogs we read and comment on. Unlike some blogs that are started by creative and clever people as a commercial enterprise (anyone read Dooce?), my humble blog is my attempt to communicate with the world at large. It's not always clever or funny or topical. I don't live in an exotic country and don't have an exotic past. I'm an ordinary human being just getting on with life the best I can, and sharing that experience. As are most of you who read my blog (and thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing so). So have a great Tuesday, everyone, and remember to smile. I'm going to go play with Jake, then get a shower cuz I SMELL after the gym.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the award. I have to hold my hands up now and confess. I have never passed on awards and I think it's about time I did. So this week I'm going to have a big award passing on blog and hope I don't offend anyone. Gosh, I've got a lot of thinking to do!!

Best wishes, Crystal xxx

Swearing Mother said...

Hiya wakeupandsmellthecoffee!

I totally agree with you re blogging, I just enjoy writing mine and have fun talking to the people who visit. Having given my son regular rollickings for spending too much time on the internet when he should have been doing his school work, and scoffing when he said that he was talking to his internet "friends", I now know what it's like to talk to people from all over the world and who are so very different to me.

It's fun isn't it?

Lovely to read your blog, it's great.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

CJ: Ooohh, you naughty woman. 100 lashes with a wet noodle for you!

Swearing Mother: Welcome. I just had a look at your blog. You're hilarious!. I'll be back, in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Perhaps this is why my new passport hasn't arrived; I couldn't answer any of those questions without guessing. I at one time worked for the DHSS.

Exmoorjane said...

Eeek, no idea to any of them (start trembling at the idea of a test!).....But THANK YOU so much for my award. I have a big problem with awards (and a bit of a confession)- I can't figure out how to get them on my blog!!! duh. But it's lovely and I am well chuffed. (happy sigh).xxx

Vi said...

WTF on the questions?????? No freaking idea myself. And you know what? I reckon anyone living in this country all their lives would know all the answers.

And cheers for the award! I shall pass it on with affection. (Last one you gave, I took, but didn't pass on, because I had just recently passed on another, think I'm go with this one)

Flowerpot said...

good point about bloggign and awards. It is great fun and I have 'met' some wonderful new friends. Doesnt half eat into work time thuogh!

Kim said...

I remember when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out. I did a double take at the part of the trailer where Jack Sparrow holds a knife to Elizabeth Swann's neck; I thought it was Winona Ryder. My whole family said I was nuts.

I hope I always thank people for awards. I think I do. However, that reminds me, I have an award blog to do as well. Thanks for the reminder.

debio said...

Couldn't answer any of those questions - and could only hazard a guess at some...

Maybe you'd have done better sneaking in as an illegal immigrant, claimed asylum then made use of the system and become an instant expert.

British Passports for the worthy? Where have you been these 15 years?

the rotten correspondent said...

No clue whatsoever on the quiz answers. Nada.

I blog for the same reasons as you, and have found it to be more rewarding than I'd ever imagined. Like swearing mother I've given my husband an earful over the years at how much time he spends on the computer chatting with his friends. I think I even said (actually I lie, I KNOW I said) "who has the time to sit and talk to people on the computer? Not ME!!"

Ooops...

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

marymary: I don't think anyone can answer those questions. Welcome back, by the way.

exmoorjane: All you have to do is put your cursor on the award, right click, go to Save as Picture, left click. Then, when you want to get it on your blog, you go to add page element, click on picture, click on add from your computer, click on browse, put cursor on award, click, then click on OK, and hey, presto, there it is. Hope that makes sense, and sorry you had to get directions from me.

vi: I'm not so sure those who have lived here all their lives would know the answers.

flowerpot: I know. I can be on here for hours. I must break this habit.

kaycie: I'm so glad someone else thinks like me.

Debio: I have a US passport, but it would be so nice to just walk through sometimes.

RC: I do wonder how you manage to do it with the job, the dog, the kids and Film Geek. Do you sleep?

Fire Byrd said...

uuumm know I've got the first two questions right, remains to be seen on the others.
But i can tell you that filling in an EMA form is absolutely hell. And son with attitude has given up nagging about when it's going to get finished.

I luuurrvve getting awards, they make me smile and I try to hand them out to different people each time, but running out of people, or I'll have to get a bigger blog roll... Oh no it takes me all my time to read and comment on the ones already there!!
pxx

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Pixie: That's the blessing and curse of blogs. There are so many good ones, and we find more all the time but don't want to give up our regulars. Ah well.

J said...

THe only difference I can see between Keira Knightly and Winona Ryder is that Winona has boobs.

Couldn't answer any of those questions, either.

Can't wait to see a picture of Jake. Bet his belly is really soft.

Kanga Jen said...

I think of Kate Winslet along with Keira and Wynona.

I started blogging to keep in touch with my friends and family who are scattering around the US. There are a few people that I've never met in real life that read mine, but not an awful lot. It's kind of weird but cool at the same time, to think of random IRL strangers reading your thoughts. More cool than weird.

No idea on the questions. I thing I even quit reading them after two or three. :-)

laurie said...

in the immortal words of my husband: "i used to have a wife. now i have a blogger."

but i don't quit.

i don't even slow down.

DJ Kirkby said...

Sweetie, what is the point of questions 2,4 or 5? I dont remember having to answer any of these but I hired an immigration laywer and it was a loooong time ago now...or perhaps I am just senile? Good luck anyway. I keep meaning to go read Dooce's blog but am always too busy reading my blog buddies posts!

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

j: I'm not sure Winona's boobs are real. Jake's belly is soft and round. I keep calling him Butterball, which must be an American phrase because I keep having to explain it to everyone here (though I think it's pretty self-explanatory).

pantheist mom: In a way blogging is like having penpals, don't you think? Kate Winslet is a bit too curvy to fall into the Keira/Winona category.

laurie: Since I started my secret blogging habit, I have hardly any time for anything else. My daughter's onto me, though.

DJ: I think these questions are something new designed to keep out the undesirables. I'll have to blog about my early experiences in this country one day. Dooce is a bit overrated, in my opinion. There are lots of bloggers who write better blogs. She's just really good on the marketing.

Anonymous said...

Award over at my place, Crystal xx