Tuesday 24 April 2007

Safety in numbers

1: Thing people don't know about me.
People who know me don't know a thing about this blog. I haven't told my husband, my children, my friends, no one. Partly because I want to feel free to write what I think and feel without having to edit myself. I don't care if the rest of the world knows as long as the rest of the world doesn't know who I am.

2: Pounds I hope to have lost this week.
After a shaky start, Weight Watchers seems to be working. I managed to lose 2 1/2 pounds while I was away. Being ill helped tremendously. I'm also getting back to being more active. And that is the key to losing weight. You can cut down on your food drastically, but if you're active you don't have to cut down as much.

3: Kilometers I ran today.
Ok, it was on the treadmill, and apparently that doesn't count as much, but it is something. The 5K Race for Life is on June 3. I should be OK by then. I'm not pushing myself as much as I did two years ago because that caused me to get ITBS, or iliotibial band syndrome (try saying that three times when you're drunk). Very painful, but then again I am a physical wreck. I have a bad back, weak wrists, dodgy shoulder, narrow sinuses, one leg that is ever so slightly shorter than the other causing all sorts of problems. One thing that isn't bothering me at the moment is the menopause issue. I think my body has decided to put it off for a while after all.

4: Times I've told my children I love them today.
There is no magic number for how many times I tell them. It's how many times I want or need to say it and how many times they want or need to hear it.

5: The optimum number for a group of friends.
I've been thinking about this. I have a large number of acquaintances, one or two really close friends in whom I can confide most things, and one group of five friends I go out with, go away with, have parties and barbecues with. I had another group of friends, but the number grew to exceed the optimum five. I then found myself in the outer group of three instead of the inner group of five and now plan to put myself in the select group of one who no longer associates with them much. I don't know why five is the magic number. Some social scientists could probably tell me. It's like planting bulbs or plants, in a way. You should always have either one, three, or five. Two or four look funny and more than five is overpowering.

No comments: